A personal injury claim is a claim which is made when someone is injured in an accident that was not their fault. The law in the United Kingdom states that a person should be compensated if they have received an injury because of the negligence of another party. The personal injury industry in the United Kingdom contains qualified solicitors and claims advisors who seek to support personal injury victims with making a successful claim.

There are a number of different types of accident which may be covered under the umbrella of “personal injuries claims”. These are some of the most common types of claims made in the UK.

Road Traffic Accidents

Road traffic accidents are accidents that occur in or involving road traffic vehicles (including cars, motorbikes and HGV’s). A person making a claim in a road traffic accident may be the driver, a passenger in the vehicle, or someone who was injured outside of one of the vehicles involved in the incident.

Workplace Incidents

A Workplace claim can be made for any injury which happened as part of your employment. This injury may have occurred in the office, in a warehouse or in any part of your job role. A workplace claim normally arises when an employer has not taken adequate steps to identify and minimise risk to employees.

Sports Accidents

Although sports can be fast-paced and boisterous at times, if an injury happens because another party was negligent, then a claim can be made. Sporting accident claims can arise because of faults with the playing surface, players disregarding the rules of the game, poor coaching or inadequate sporting equipment.

Product Liability

Products which are sold in the United Kingdom must either be safe for all consumers or they must carry appropriate warnings to help to minimise the risks to buyers. However, defective products can carry unknown risks of their own. If you have been injured because of a defective product or because a product did not carry the appropriate safety warning, then you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation for your injuries. More information on product liability can be found here.

Slips, Trips and Falls

Slips, trips and falls may sound like they should only cause minor injuries, however the consequences of slips, trips and falls can be severe. Serious slips and falls can even result in death. However, slips trips and falls are one of the most common types of accidents to occur in the United Kingdom. Landowners, homeowners and business owners must take steps to reduce the chances of people slipping, tripping or falling on their land.

Asbestos-Related Claims

Asbestos is a material that used to enjoy widespread use across the United Kingdom. However, it is now known that exposure to asbestos can have serious health consequences. If you develop an asbestos-related illness, you should speak to a specialist claims advisor to begin launching a claim for compensation.

Medical Malpractice

Doctors, nurses, dentists and cosmetic surgeons are all held to high standards by national legislation in the UK. When medical professionals fail to meet these standards, they can end up putting their patients at risk. Medical malpractice can increase the risk of infection and is likely to slow down the recovery process. Malpractice can also mean that patients do not receive the right treatment in an adequate response time. Mistakes like these can cause lifelong conditions or may result in death. Medical malpractice can still occur during elective surgical procedures. You may still be entitled to make a claim for compensation, even if you signed an agreement prior to the surgery.

Animal Bites

Pet owners in the United Kingdom have a responsibility to ensure that their animals do not harm anybody else. If you have been harmed by a domestic animal or a livestock animal then you should report the incident to the police and seek immediate medical attention.

Criminal Injuries

You should be able to claim compensation for injuries which were caused by someone committing a criminal act. However, the claims process may be slightly different to other personal injury claims. If you wish to make this type of claim, you are advised to speak to a lawyer who specialises in claiming for this type of compensation. You can also visit the CICA (Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority) page on the governments website here.